Follow Pop Culture And Fashion Magic

Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Real Pin Ups (Gil Elvgren)

Remember how I told you something about my favorite pin up artist - Gil Elvgren - and showed you some of his work here? Well, today is time for part two of that article.

You have to know he used real models for his paintings; he actually felt they were the core of an amazing drawing and had his own criteria for choosing the right girl for a certain project.

Around 1944 Gil was approached by Brown&Bigelow who offered him 1000$ for each pin up and he started to work for them; he had to draw twenty calendar girls each year (they had to be as diverse as possible, from southern belles to sultry east coast beauties).

Elvgren was looking for girls that were new to the modeling business, fresh faced and most importantly full of personality and energy (with mobile and expressive features).
This might sound pretty lecherous, even creepy, but he used to say that his ideal model was a “fifteen-year-ancient face οn a twenty-year-ancient body.” That being said many οf hіѕ models (Kim Novak, Donna Reed, Myrna Loy, Barbara Hale, Arlene Dahl, Myrna Hansen) wеnt οn tο hаνе successful movie careers аftеr posing fοr thе artist.

I’ve dug up some amazing collages with the photos of the girls he used for his drawings and the end result. Elvgren was an enthusiastic photographer and shot hіѕ own model set-ups.

It’s like an old school, vintage Photoshop that I’m sure you’re going to love – you can see what he added or eliminated to create his jaw-dropping and timeless pin ups. I have to say that even the vintage touch-ups are better and more tasteful than the ones we experience in the present. Am I right?


One οf Elvgren’s favorite models wаѕ Janet Rae. He used her a lot especially after moving to
Florida!
 

 This photo is a recent one (2009) - actress Carla Gugino photographed by Matthew Rolston for Vanity Fair - and shows, once again, the everlasting influence of Gil Elvgren work. This is a modern photographic interpretation of Gil's 1964 painting that you can see next!

“Your Move” by Gil Elvgren 1964 

37 comentarii :

Alina said...

Oh,wow...these pictures are amazing!But I must say that the drawings are a lot more beautiful than the actual models:)

Lucy said...

WHOA, they are amazing, so gorgeous. Very tasteful.

sharpest-lives@blogspot.com

x

Anaivilo said...

Ha! I love that modern interpretation, looks great although the models from the '40s era will never compare with the ones in our days, they just have a different..face :)) Gorgeous! I so love pin-up girls, fabulous! :D

FashionJazz said...

They are so gorgeous! Hope u are having a lovely wk xxx

Mikaela said...

I watched america's next top model once and they had to be pin up girls :D it was cool !

Neat post :)

xx
absofuckinglutely

stilistele said...

wow, this guy is quite a talent! thanks for the beautiful images, I didn't know much about these ;)

KINGA said...

thank you for your lovely comment! great pictures! xx,K.

KINGA said...

yeah, if you want we can follow each other :). I just followed you . xx,K.

Alexandra said...

I must say,the old ones look ten times better than the new one. Plus, do you notice how those models had flesh on them ? Amazing how skinny girls have to be nowadays to be considered hot

alexandra @
shoependant.blogspot.com

KINGA said...

:) xx,K.

SoooFashionable said...

Lovelyyyyy:))

Unknown said...

I love pin up style! :)

Thank you for your comment on my blog!

Now i'm following you
http://freakyfriday-sabrina.blogspot.com

Lindsay said...

I love to see this series. It's so cool to see the real beauties.

Kaja said...

Wow cool post, really interesting and inspirational. cool blog,dear!
maybe youll like mine aswell :)

http://la-fille-porcelaine.blogspot.com/

http://la-fille-porcelaine.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

These photos are so cute and fun! Thank you for commenting and following me!! Following back :)

xx
rebelrousher.blogspot.com

Julie Ann Lozada said...

amazing! he's so talented and Janet Rae is gorgeous!

xitsagirlthingx.blogspot.com

Sabrina said...

I love this concept! It's such an imaginative photoshoot.

Sincerely,
Sabrina

Monsterchen said...

oh i love gil elvgren too!!! i´m such a huge fan of his art. thank u so much for this great post!
love and kiss,mary

http://maryloucinnamon.blogspot.com/

NRC♥ said...

I love his work too.
My Blog♥
My YouTube♥

chantilly said...

oh wow! i love gil elvgren's work, and seeing these photos side by side is incredible!

xx

Saucy Siciliana said...

Gorgeous pictures! I'm a 50s girl so these pinups make me nostalgic! Great work. I love your blog. I'm following you from Rome! I hope you like to eat...I make great food and desserts:)

lop said...

i love pin up girls!
http://thecolorbox.blogspot.com/

Chi said...

wow, great post, really interesting and entertaining, I like ! :)

Ramona said...

This is amazing. I love photos beacause these are real womans and drawings are soo cartooned them, but still cute.

xoxo Ra

deniz saatçioğlu said...

I love this post, enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks for your comment and following. Your blog is great. I' m following too.

denizsaatcioglu.blogspot.com

The white cabbage said...

thanks for following !
I'm following back.....great post !



ave

LittleCloud said...

Great post! I didn't know that there were sooo different then woman in real : D! Last painting is awesome *u*

The Dainty Dolls House said...

These are fantastic, I love pin ups and how they did them is wonderful!! Hope you have a great weekend x

laxmi said...

How interesting are these photos and paintings. Thanks for sharing.x

Dilan Dilir said...

awsome post:)

Carolina said...

Thank you Sara! Beautiful pictures. I'm now following you ^_^

TRAVEL DESIGNERY said...

I'm loving the retro pics! Took a minute to look around and u have a really nice site so I added you thru Google Connect..maybe we can follow each other? I just started my blog 4 months ago about travel & design and I would appreciate the support so much!.. I want to make it a place where people can come for escape and inspiration. Please come visit soon and hopefully you like it enough to follow along also :-)

Glad to have found your site!

Hugs from NYC
TravelDesignery.com

.

Inés said...

Great post!!! this artist is amazing i really love his job. thanks for your comment in my blog.
Follow you
Inés
http://enisdaba.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

amazing post! lovely retro pics!

Anonymous said...

I love Gil Elvgren! I bought my friend a book of his work for her birthday :)
xxx
ps i just commented on your adam levine post instead of your outfit post above it, oops!

Goodwin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tanyasmme said...

love it! have a great day! new outfit on my blog! www.thecurlylady.blogspot.com

AddThis Smart Layers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...